daily bread

last sunday my pastor preached on part of the Lord's Prayer. i was not there to hear him give the message since i was at a women's retreat. but!... because i'm the one who puts the sermon outline and notes into youversion, i got to read the material last week before i left. which is why, by the time sunday rolled around, i'd already been thinking about his words for several days. and i'm still thinking about them.

one of the things he talked about was praying for our daily bread...

We are told to pray daily for bread, basic needs, not for daily cake. In other words for transportation, not a Rolls Royce. By asking for our daily bread, we are acknowledging that our lives are in God’s hands. We recognize that all we have ultimately comes from the Lord.

what struck me about that was that the act of praying for daily bread is an acknowledgement that all we have comes from the Lord. that without Him, we have nothing and we are nothing.

and Jesus said that when you pray to pray like this... this is the very example he gave us on how to pray. and we are also told to pray without ceasing.

so if this is how we pray, and we are to always be praying, then i cannot help but consider that i need to  continually recognize i am nothing and that i have nothing without God; to pray for daily bread without ceasing.

at the retreat we sang a song with these words

I believe You're my Healer
I believe You are all I need
I believe You're my Portion
I believe You're more than enough for me
Jesus You're all I need

and it dawned on me that this song was about praying for my daily bread - it was about recognizing that i am His hands and that all i have comes from Him. and that He is all i need. in fact, he's MORE than enough for me.

and then we sang another song. and another. and they all recapped that theme of Him providing everything we need and that without Him we have nothing.

we kept singing about and praying for our daily bread. it was beautiful!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

chaos? monotony?


both. neither. a mashup.

all of the above.

whatever it is, it is my life.

and i love every minute of it.

:: trace jackson