wrestling in prayer

i am re-memorizing colossians. starting from the end this time - a technique one of my friends introduced me to so i thought i'd give it a try.

as i was committing the final greeting to memory i was struck by a phrase i read about how epaphrus was caring for his friends. paul said he was "wrestling in prayer" for them.

i thought it was a great picture of the commitment and fervor with which he approached the throne of God on their behalf. i immediately cried out to God - "if only!! if only i had someone to wrestle in prayer over me! Lord, i want that!"

and just as immediately i felt guilty that my first thought would be for myself and that i should be yearning to wrestle in prayer for others. so i sought to do just that!

later as i was heading home, working further down the same verse i was even more struck by what he wrestled in prayer about.. that they stand firm, mature and fully assured.

i'm going through a beth moore study (again) called believing God. and it is amazing! there is a five statement pledge of faith that she has us recite at the beginning of each video segment that goes like this:
1 God is who He says He is
2 God can do what He says He can do
3 i am who God says i am
4 i can do all things through Christ
5 God's word is alive and active in me

and my very dear friend is going through this with me.. my friend who is in dire need of believing who she is in Him. so it's been great knowing that as we progress along this study that she will become more assured of all of these things. and i've prayed over her, crying out for God to increase her faith and bring her closer to Him. asking Him to show her those promises she can claim and to give her the boldness to do so.

and it dawns on me. i've wrestled in prayer over her that she will stand firm, mature and fully assured. it's been in my heart and on my lips all along.

that's amazing!

don't you think that's amazing?

2 comments:

Anonymous 11/8/07 5:01 PM  

Ummm - yeah it's amazing!
(And I'm not just saying that bc you don't like it when people don't "get" enthusiasm :))
"wrestling in prayer" -what an encouragement! You are a TRUE prayer warrior, my friend!

Anonymous 23/8/08 11:16 PM  

AMEN AMEN. I'm on the same mindset right now. To have that type of fire during prayer to fight to see things change in the name of JESUS is an area we all need to utilize. May God bless you and increase himself in your life and in those around you.

www.warrioroftheway.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment