uganda, day 7

the days begin to blend. i've stopped referring to days by dates but rather by an event that happens within it.

cindy led the devotional this morning. what she has done for these children is nothing short of a miracle. how does she leave each time?

stella and some others came to her hut to say goodbye. or rather to appeal to her to come back sooner than the 5 weeks she had already communicated. "1 week" is all stella would say. aside from "i miss you."

after program, the kids went back for lunch. i meandered over there myself after eating lunch with the team.

watched gloria iron for a while. patricia sitting patiently by as she waited for her turn.

some of the older girls were taking jugs to the well and took my hand as they went by. so... uh... i went. we sang walking there - them wanting to learn our songs. once there, we stood under a tree while the younger kids drew water and filled the jugs.

they made a place for me to sit (always thinking of others!) and asked for a story and for me to teach them more songs. they quizzed me on acholi words and taught me on their songs. i loved it! they made me sing it by myself.

they sang to me and called me mama trace. i, of course, being ever the stoic, cried.

"don't cry," i heard from the gentlest voices.

then i happened upon a winning song that i pulled from the recesses of my brain as i was fresh out of ideas. they absolutely loved it, singing it over and over, and counting the words on their fingers.

oo ee oo ah ah
ting tang walla walla bing bang
oo ee oo ah ah
ting tang walla walla bing bang

it was wonderful to connect with these older girls.

earlier when a group of us were sitting in a circle on the grass, they wanted a story. i told them about meeting jon. but then i also told them about my dad baptizing me but that now he is in heaven. i cried. i think perhaps that softened their hearts to me.

one or two of them would walk holding my hand as we returned to their houses. after that afternoon, we were often found walking together.



after lunch the kids said goodbye to cindy, chris and maddie.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

chaos? monotony?


both. neither. a mashup.

all of the above.

whatever it is, it is my life.

and i love every minute of it.

:: trace jackson