my portion

i woke up this morning to a scripture my cousin texted me. it's in psalm 73:26

my flesh and my heart my fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever

and it got me to thinking - what is a portion, really?

i asked God to help me understand what that really means and i started looking through some commentaries on logos bible (great resource!) and to sum it up they basically refer to God being our inheritance. our FULL inheritance. that he is the portion of what we will receive. but don't worry - you'll get plenty! this isn't some weight watcher's portion. you are getting the almighty, holy, dangerous, beautiful God of the universe as your portion. that's a portion that won't fit on your plate!!

he is our daily supply. he is sufficient for anything we might need. he covers it... and then he overflows it. we get ALL of him (not only his grace, not only his love or his promises. we get Jehovah himself!) and he is ALL our portion (within the circle of all that we possess or desire, there is none but him. he isn't just part of my portion, he is my portion). he holds nothing back and we need nothing else.

some others may have their portion elsewhere - in their money, their success, their children, their dreams... but when we have God, in him we have more than any of that can give us. there are griefs in this world deeper than any money can alleviate. but God!... oh he is more than what we need when we hurt or grieve or weary or run. he is more than enough.

when we declare that the Lord is our Lord, we really should continue to keep that in mind and take comfort of it. and live up to it.

yesterday in cgroup, my dear friend lynde challenged us to spend 70 minutes with God (10 minutes a day for 7 days) and to journal about it. i thank my friend for caring about us so much that she gives us a challenge that will put us right into the midst of God every day, to soak in his words and let them change who we are. to fall deeper for him and to recognize that he is all we need.

while reading through commentaries on my quest to understand "the Lord is my portion" i came across this...

great blessing belongs to those who read and understand the word of God, and more blessed is the man whose life is the practical transcript of the will of God as revealed in the scriptures.

oh, that my life is a practical transcript of the will of God, and that i remain in his word in order to know what that looks like. and that i immerse myself in him and that nothing less will satisfy me!

the Lord is my portion. i am rich indeed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment