my bum hurts

alright! alright!! i admit it!! i'm not such a lady afterall.

sitting in this derned chair all day, my bum is now sore. i'm sick to death of being stuck here. cannot wait to have the freedom to move around (and the freedom to wear the shoes to do it comfortably).

am i done yet?
how about now?
ok.. now?
knock knock
who's there?
NOW???

i have worked like crazy the last few days trying to get accesses set up in all of our many systems for the girl who will be replacing me. i've had to knock a few skulls and get a little ugly to do it, but i think the hard part is over and now i'm just waiting for her confirmations to come in. phew!

and this is totally nonsequitor, but can i just say how happy i am to hear that blogger and google are working together now? i am all about all things google. i cannot get enough! i use their email, their spreadsheets, their calendars, their word docs (writely).. and every time i use a new product of theirs i am delighted all over again. so all hail google!

because i'm so ready to get outta here and because i love lists (like in a bordering on unhealthy way), here are the top 10 things i am most happy about with the job change, other than the obvious "i'm working for the Lord" thing:

10. working in the dungeon. okay, i know it's geeky, but i like the idea of working in what was previously the choir room but have called it the dungeon. they've tried to pin other names on it, like the oval office, command central, the nerve center.. but i'm going to see if i can redub it the dungeon. and i'm going to be so close to a bathroom, that i can trail a piece of toilet paper on my shoe all the way to my desk and still have the other end stuck to the roll (well, it might have to be a brand new roll!)! i have never been this close to the bathroom before. this may not seem like a big deal until you're in the middle of a project, need desperately to go, and have to traverse the entire length of the building for relief!
9. people spend lunches together. they have all-staff potlucks once a month (and i won't be the only veg!!), they have a cafe onsite (but i'll be bringing my lunches for the most part), and there is a break room in, well, the dungeon. yay!!
8. working with someone who is so much like me i'm starting to suspect my twin lived afterall.
7. understanding the business enough to come up with ideas. and then have my ideas actually considered. i was shocked.. shocked!.. when i heard an idea of mine discussed from the pulpit. my idea! and they thought it was good enough to share with the church! whoa, dude!
6. getting away from the airs. bankers put on airs. sometimes it's so silly it makes me giggle and the guys want to know what i'm giggling at. how can i tell them i'm laughing at them? how do you say that to someone whose haughty?
5. getting to exercise my creativity again.
4. not having to make this drive!
3. being there when my dot gets home after work. and having had time to shake off work and prepare myself for him to walk in the door and give him all of my attention.
2. feeling like i'm in my element. i've said it before and i'll say it again: you can do something well, but it doesn't mean you like it. i'm going to be honest about something that i haven't said out loud before. when i started this job i said how much i loved it every single day. well, the truth of it isn't that i loved it so much as that i wasn't at the other place anymore. the other place was mean and heartless and you wouldn't dare turn your back on it, i didn't trust my own boss, i didn't trust anyone there! the other place tried to drag me down to its level and many times it succeeded. it had bad air. you breathed it in and even if it didn't contaminate you, it left a bad smell and you could feel it in your lungs no matter how hard you exhaled. i've enjoyed the people here and my boss is certainly one of integrity. but it's not my dream job and it's not my element. i'm not one of them. and i don't belong. it will be good to be somewhere i get things.
1. getting to wear my own clothes instead of feeling like i've stolen clothes out of my mother's closet. well, not really my mother's closet, but some stuffy adult that likes to wear heels and pantyhose and are worried about being proper and would probably balk at even a fake tattoo or the idea of having a bloody mary before noon. and denim? why! i never!!! but, ohhh.. the sweet feel of denim, the flip and the flop of flip flops, long belled sleeves that cover my hands, colorful toed socks, hoodies, corduroy,.. how i love thee.

0 comments:

Post a Comment