connecting with cat

so i was in the bathtub today, destressing, when i looked up and saw cat, perched on the rim, watching me.

she's enamored with water. and bubbles. so a bubble bath seems to be near impossible for her to avoid. trust me.. it's not me nakkies that makes this event so attractive. although my dot would honorably disagree.

back to the tub. i noticed that she was watching my feet as i swirled them around and then my hands as i lifted them out of the water and then submerged them again. watching the motion, listening to the bubbles make little rice crispies sounds, taking it all in. and then she looked at me.

have you ever noticed that when you say "look at me", you really mean "look me in the eyes"? like.. women will tell a guy who is staring at her chest, "i'm up here". someone isn't really looking at you if they aren't looking in your eyes. that's when the connection happens.

so that's my point. cat looks me in the eyes. she doesn't look at my hand, the moving part that pets her and scratches her neck. she doesn't look at lap where she sits and lays and curls up in. and she doesn't look at my feet when i accidentally step on her tail (when it's right under me while i'm trying to cook! and then she acts shocked that i land on it). no, she looks at my face, looks right into my eyes.

she knows that's where the 'person' of me is. that's how we connect. she gazes up at me sometimes and gives me this total look of love. right into my eyes. because she knows that's where 'i' am.

the eyes really are the windows to the soul.

just ask my cat.

***


p.s. i'm wondering.. do blind people's pets look into their eyes, too? or do you think animals can tell if something is 'there' or not? i'm sure they at least focus on their face.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

chaos? monotony?


both. neither. a mashup.

all of the above.

whatever it is, it is my life.

and i love every minute of it.

:: trace jackson