facebook frenzy and a little bit o' heaven

i tweeted in my sleep last night. now don't let your imagination get away with you - there were no resulting sounds or smells! - this was a twitter tweet. and i woke up thinking about social media.

as i pondered facebook and looked forward to connecting with friends and family again today, i was also yearning once more to know God better - to understand Him greater, to love Him deeper. and i giggled at a thought that struck me: i wanted to be a part of God's "news feed".

what if He were on facebook? He'd certainly befriend everyone. and He would delight over every post and poke that came His way, because they were from His dear ones. all of us His dear ones. we would get to read what's "on His mind" and receive messages from Him. and suddenly - i wanted nothing more than to befriend God on facebook. i wanted that intimacy that we can achieve with our friends and our families and those we have reconnected with after way too long. i wanted minute-by-minute updates on His status, i wanted to review and delight over our wall-to-walls.

and then another revelation hit me. we already have all that access to Him. and more! He has come to earth and bound himself in flesh and allowed that flesh to rip and tear and let loose the blood that saves this wretch. He gave me His word and as hard as we have tried.. His word cannot be broken. and oh how we tried. the shame of how we tried!

we have His spirit. His truth. we have His life - eternal eternal life!

i was delighting in this - spending the afternoon with Him. and while i reveled in His company (He joined me for coffee), i found another even greater joy!

i got to taste a little bit o' heaven.

i found through facebook, a dear, dear family member i had lost contact with. as soon as we reconnected - and it really was almost immediately - we began messaging and chatting and getting caught up. before i knew it i was crying and laughing out loud - just bursting with pleasure and giddiness. it was fabulous (it still is!). i simply couldn't type fast enough to share my life with him, and he me. when we finally parted with incredible difficulty so that he could get back to work, i began to twirl and slide across the floor in my stockinged feet (i simply don't care if that sounds old-fashioned. i am who i am), giggling and whooping. i was thanking God for this reunion and treasuring every memory it brought to me - holding them up to the light, examining them, and delighting in every exquisite detail. i was in the clouds.

and i realized - this is surely a tiny taste of what our heavenly reunion will be like. i imagined running up to friends, family, neighbors and holding them and looking them over and soaking in every bit of who they are and how very precious they are to me. and celebrating our lives - the past and the unfathomable future.

and then, i thought about finally getting to fall into my Maker's arms. oh what sheer delight just filled my soul. can you imagine it? my mind cannot wrap around this for fear of reducing it to an embarrassing blob of 'way-off-base'.

i will finally be home.

how i will rejoice that day. and i look forward to seeing all of you there. the grief of missing any one of you is simply too much. my heart cannot hold it. please come with me! if you don't know the way - i want to show you! or at the very very least, let me share with you how my life will never be the same because it belongs to Him now.

love to all of you.

2 comments:

Anonymous 15/3/09 10:01 PM  

I keep coming here to read new blogs and every time I end up re-reading this blog....Good stuff.

Heaven holds all to me...No baggage. No stress. No time pressures. All the time in the universe for friends and family - relationships. And, of course, the unimaginably good Presence.

Anonymous 16/3/09 1:58 PM  

Your writing inspired me today. I giggled, too, at the thought of subscribing to God's RSS news feed! Ha! I love it!

I'm adding you to my blog roll later today. What a treasure you are!

In Him,

Anthony

Post a Comment

chaos? monotony?


both. neither. a mashup.

all of the above.

whatever it is, it is my life.

and i love every minute of it.

:: trace jackson